Tuesday 3 June 2014

RIP Indian Slummer


I took myself off to India in search of a small slice of happy. I thought I could do it without hair mousse. My hair looked consistently crappy.

I travelled all over the country on the sleeper buses for which India’s renown. I found it quite thrilling. Whizzing about. On a flat bed. Sprawled out. Lying down.

I stayed in shacks and shitholes, which were cheap but a far cry from cushy. And every night, I became a mosquito’s delight and was devoured just like human sushi.

I visited temples and ashrams. Met sadhus, swamis and sages. I stopped eating meat and got back on my feet by doing more yoga than I had done in ages.

I studied Vedic Dharma and had a go at silent meditation. But then I got sick with severely bad shits and needed hospitalisation.

I splashed about in the Ganges and I scaled Himalayan mountains high.  I lolled lazily about on white beaches until my pale skin started to fry.

I met some incredible people and I made a great many friends. I dated some dudes. Drank too much booze. And I had a colonic cleanse.

Then six months ago I met Max. He was handsome and kind. A real treasure. He captured my heart. Right from the start. I thought he would be mine forever.

I moved into his place in South Goa. Looking back, I wish we’d gone slower.  Because living together isn’t that clever, when you’re with someone who don’t really know yer.  

A few weeks later I became ill. I discovered I had a stomach tumour. Then things went downhill, when blood started to spill and near death led to my lost sense of humour.

It took a good few months to recover. And I wasn’t much fun to be with. But by the time I was fine, Max was no longer inclined, to have me in his life as his lover.

I came home without further ado. My Indian dream’s now a thing of the past. Why slum when I really don’t have to? When I’m happy with life at long last?

4 comments:

  1. We all have our story to tell, I'm not sure how I fell upon yours, but it is an interesting one :-)

    Do you still have the

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still have the desire for adventure?

      Delete
    2. Hi Manoj - I just discovered your message. I'm sorry, I've not been blogging for a while. But I'm about to set off on a new adventure. This time Peru. Feel free to follow me... www.woowooperu.blogspot.com

      Many thanks for reading.
      Kelly

      Delete
  2. Wow you certainly went for it hook line and sinker. I came across your blog via Tinder. Perhaps your Indian summer is not as hard to find as you think?...

    ReplyDelete